Sunday, May 24, 2015

Field Day Activities!


Am I alone in my hatred for Field Day?  My kids love it.  They look forward to it all year.  But oh how exhausting it is!  I love being outside but I am not seriously the "athletic" type.  My mom literally laughed out loud when she stopped by my house and I was making plans for field day.  (Thanks for the confidence boost, right?!)  But seriously, she's right.  It just isn't my thing.  Despite that, we had a blast anyway.  :)


My vote for the best Field Day activity was the Cheeto Shower Cap game!  Each group partnered up into groups of two.  I found these cheap (and totally girly) shower caps at Walmart for $1 and included three designs.  I would pop one on their head, slap on a little shaving cream, and hand their partner a handful of Cheetos Puffs!  When I said go, they would have to try and catch five Cheetos on their cap.  The student throwing Cheetos is not allowed to move, however I did allow the student with the shower cap to jump forward and stretch to the left or right to catch them.  It was HILARIOUS!  After one team was able to catch five Cheetos, they would switch roles.


My teaching partner and I *may* have loved spray painting the day before field day.  We spray painted a life size checker board in the grass.  We bought cheap plastic plates from Walmart that were $1 for a pack of four.  The kids LOVED this!  We also loved it because we didn't need a parent or teacher at this station to supervise or explain the rules.  The majority of our kids knew what to do.  It was a really fun twist on a classic game.


Speaking of spray painting classic games, we also played Twister!  The kids loved it and we were quite impressed with some of their skills.  :)

{Picture & Field Day Idea from Oswego County}
We found this idea online and couldn't resist doing relay races with our kids!  They had a blast rolling the ball back and forth using only their head.  We did have one eye injury but don't ask me how that occurred!  :)  We also used this station to have other relay races.  

{Photo & Idea Credit to 7onastring}
I wish I had gotten a picture of my kids doing this but my hands were covered in Cheeto residue and shaving cream!  We had buckets filled with water and students had to transfer their water to an empty bucket at the opposite end using a styrofoam cup with three holes poked in it.  They loved it and we didn't end up with completely drenched kids!

{Photo & Idea Credit from Williams-Sonoma Taste}
We also felt that Field Day wouldn't be complete without an egg toss and egg in a spoon races.  I seriously bought the toughest eggs on the planet!  My kids were throwing them like baseballs and they weren't cracking.  They still had a blast and made it their mission to find a way to bust them!

{Photo & Idea Credit from Happy Home Fairy}
Minute to Win it games are ALWAYS a fun way to get kids doing interesting things!  Happy Home Fairy has some simple, yet fun ways that would make excellent Field Day Stations.  My kids always love Minute to Win it! :)

What do you do for Field Day? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...