Wednesday, December 17, 2014

December Memoirs: Down Memory Lane


Children are a special part of my life.  Not only do I have a classroom full of fifth grade children, who I think of as my own, but I also have been blessed to have 4 boys of my own.  For me, they are what makes Christmas so special. From the time each of them was born, my husband and I enjoyed creating new memories and helping them to feel the magic and joy of the holiday season.

First, there was Joel, followed 4 1/2 years later by Gabe.  Aren't they the cutest?

When Joel was little, he would not leave the ornaments on the big tree alone.  He kept taking them off and moving them, trying to do his own "decorating" of the tree.  ;)  So....I took a trip to the dollar store, bought a cheap little tree and ornaments just for him.  He loved it, and my problem was solved!  He spent a lot of time playing with that little Christmas tree!

Chubby-cheeked Gabe was a lot of fun at Christmas time.  Once he realized what presents really were, he wouldn't stop touching them.  He wanted to open them as soon as he saw the wrapped boxes!  Christmas morning couldn't come soon enough for Gabe.  

 Joel and Gabe in their Santa Hats

A few years later, Tristan came into our lives, followed by Justice.  
They were the cutest little boys!

Tristan was a sensitive, serious child with a mischievous side. ;)  He always wanted to make sure we not only had cookies and milk out for Santa, but that we left out carrots for the reindeer as well.  Every year, without fail, he would remind us to do this.  One of my favorite stories of Tristan at Christmas time, though, is from the time he attended Christmas Eve Mass with my mother-in-law.  Partway through the service and after singing several sacred Christmas songs, he leaned over to my mother-in-law and asked, "Grandma, when are they going to sing Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer?"  Hahaha!  That still makes me laugh today!

Justice was born shortly after the attacks of 9/11, which is why he has such a strong, wonderful name.  Like the rest of the nation, our family was still feeling a great deal of emotion from the attacks when Christmas arrived.  I can still remember holding my little baby Justice and feeling the goodness, love, and peace that surrounds a newborn.  It was a reassurance to me that light and 
righteousness will prevail.  To this day, Justice lives up to his name.  
He stands for the right and works hard in all he does.

Every year, we take a picture of our boys in front of the Christmas tree.  
This one is from the year 2001.  Seems just like yesterday!


Last year in 2013, we were lucky enough to travel to Colorado over Christmas break to see Joel graduate from CU in Boulder.  This is our Christmas Day picture of our family.

It's hard to believe how grown-up they are!  I am so grateful we have the Christmas memories that we do.  Just writing this post made me tear up quite a bit....time flies and it's not always easy to see it going as quickly as it does.  I love my family!

Now, go make some of your own wonderful Christmas memories!
Much love,
Shelly Rees



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...