Monday, February 16, 2015

Computation Intervention {with The Primary Gal}


Please tell me that I'm not alone in wondering where to begin with test preparation.  Do you start with the basics such as computation?  Problem solving?  Technology skills?  Ahhhh!  It can be overwhelming and time is so precious.  Prior to Christmas break, I began to think about what routines I have in place as well as what I need to implement during the spring semester to ensure that my students were prepped and ready for that dreaded test. 


I like to use daily routines for spiral review to ensure that students are being repeatedly exposed to grade level content.  Each day, I lay out one card with a computation problem.  Students have ONE shot at getting this answer completed correctly.  They must show all of their work in order to receive credit.  I have a rotation in which I use for the problems each day based on the weaknesses that I am seeing with my students.  I am currently rotating through adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing fractions, as well as basic multiplication and division.  We have completed five rounds with this set of skills and I am getting ready to rock their world when I move to harder material such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing mixed numbers, as well as multiplying and dividing decimals.


I allow my students to complete this problem at any time throughout the morning and I begin checking their answers during study hall (12:00-12:30).  Obviously, I cannot display my student data in a picture but this is similar to what I do.  If they have the problem correct, I place a check next to their name. As they return their practice pages the following day, I put a star next to their name.  At a quick glance, I can see who consistently answers problems correctly (checks), incorrectly (stars), or does not complete homework (completely blank).


For students who do not correctly answer the question, I give them a coordinating practice page for homework.  I love this intervention because it targets only the students who need the practice without taking away precious class time.  Each page includes a QR Code that allows the students to check their own work before turning it in.


So here is the data!  I am slightly embarrassed with my first round numbers.  Out of 37 students, in my first round through basic computation, I had MANY errors.  Many of them were just simple errors while a few students were TOTALLY off track.  Either way, they received twelve additional problems for homework that evening.  By round three, I was extremely happy with their progress and feel that the additional practice has been an effective way for making sure that students are mastering these computation skills without taking away time from other review and test prep.

I had a parent question why I was using ONE question to determine if they needed additional homework on that particular skill.  My justification is that there may only be ONE problem on high stakes testing that determines if they know how to complete this skill.  I need them to be able to demonstrate in ONE problem what they can do and do it accurately.  It also encourages students to SLOW DOWN.  I often remind them that it makes more sense to take your time on that one problem than to rush through and receive additional homework.


By clicking the image above, you can grab my Computation Intervention Club or choose custom products to build an intervention plan that will help your students the most.  


4 comments:

  1. This is seriously the most brilliant idea!! I need to implement this somehow for third. I wish you were making packs for third!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie--they will be rolling out soon! What skills would you like to see? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie--they will be rolling out soon! What skills would you like to see? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I love the Computation Club! :) I just added it to my cart! I do something very similar to this with my Math Quick Assessments. I love keeping the data and watching my students grow. I really like this idea! It would be perfect for me to use before my Quick Assessments. Great post Amanda! Thanks for sharing!

    -Kim
    For a Love of Teaching

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...