Friday, February 20, 2015

Test Prep Ideas- Rockin the Test (with Rockin Resources)

Test Prep 

Do you cringe when you enter a faculty meeting in the middle of the year and you see THE DREADED TEST on the agenda?  I know that our principals need to prepare us for THE DREADED TEST, but seriously?   I can't quite wrap my brain around THE DREADED TEST when I have a million and one things swirling through my head.  On that very day, I had to email a few parents, grade an assessment, get manipulatives ready for the next day, text my son about his ride home, and ignore my husband's text asking what was for dinner!  On that very day I was dealing with Johnny poking his classmates, Jilly crying because her friend hurt her feelings, Jason who refused to do his work, Jeanie who didn't understand my inferencing lesson, a parent concerned about her child's grades, another parent who was upset about cafeteria food, another parent who didn't want her child sitting by Johnny, and one more who was upset with me that I didn't make a BIG deal about his daughter's birthday.  Goodness!  You know what I'm talking about.   It seems like THE DREADED TEST is so far away and we are no way near ready!  Don't stress me out too early!


Well like all of us, I got through the day.  I learned a few good tips about THE DREADED TEST and packed it away for when I was mentally ready for it.  I dealt with all the daily issues, got ready for the next day, and took the rest home.  (Hubby picked up take-out.)

So, how DO I deal with THE DREADED TEST?

First, I don't talk about THE DREADED TEST with my students until we are ready for review and  test-taking strategies.  Stressing them out is not productive.  Let me stress.  We all know that no matter how much we stress, that day will come and it will go.  The end.  We know we work hard assessing students and finding the best possible lessons to meet their individual needs.  I can't tell you not to worry about it, because we have so much invested in THE DREADED TEST.  However, keep in mind that Johnny may come to school hungry, Jilly will be worried and over sensitive, Jason might be reluctant to start, and Jeanie is going to be stumped over a few questions.  It happens and you know what?  It is ok.  We are all human!

When it is time to mention THE DREADED TEST, I try my very best to be UPBEAT and POSITIVE.  I start by reading the book Testing Miss Malarky by Judy Finchler.  Click on the book to purchase it from Amazon!


Here is a youtube of someone reading the book:


Then we start a review through homework, whole group, and independent activities.

1.  Homework- A month prior to the test, I divide the subject matter up into 4 sections.  Since I teach SS and Language Arts, I do the same for both subjects.  Student receive a study guide, nightly assignments, and a quiz at the end of each week.  This has proven to be a  highly effective technique for review and keeps students accountable for the material. 

2.  Whole Group- In order to monitor students closely to see who may still need help in certain areas, I like to review as a whole group.  One way to keep students' attention is to review through games.  My favorite is Jeopardy.  Here is a free template offered online.  FREE JEOPARDY TEMPLATE There are others too, JUST google- FREE JEOPARDY TEMPLATES.   Click on the games below if interested in reviews in a 3-5 classroom.   I will put them on sale for the next 5 days!





3.  Independent- My favorite independent practice for students is the app Quizlet.  Often times I allow my students to make quizlets and share them with our class.  For the end of year review, I like my students to use the ones I create to make sure they are getting everything they need for review.  What I like about this app is that it tracks time and students compete against each other.  They love it!

Last, I teach Test Taking Strategies.  Whatever the EOY test may be (I say that because I teach in South Carolina and we keep changing our EOY tests, HA), I create a quick Powerpoint with the directions of the test and review the EXACT words with my students.  This may lead to a discussion on a particular word they may not be familiar to them and will avoid explanation and anxiety the day of THE DREADED TEST!  I also go through general TEST TAKING STRATEGIES with them.  The next thing you know, THE DREADED TEST is over!!!!  Can I get a woo woo???



I hope you found some useful information here.  UPPER GRADE MEMOIRS has many talented teachers brainstorming ways to help you in your classroom!  Come back for more ideas!




2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about how many things are going on in our classrooms on a regular day. The DREADED TEST seems to put all of us over the top.

    I love the practical tips shared her and even more, the philosophy behind them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I knew you would relate!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...