Friday, February 20, 2015

Making Test Prep Fun!




Let's face it... when the word "testing" is mentioned, here are some things that happen:

  • blood pressure rises
  • palms begin to sweat
  • brains go haywire
  • nerves are shot
  • stomachs begin to ache
  • heart rate rises
  • breathing quickens
Did you think I was talking about the students? That is just the teachers! 

Now think about what our poor students are feeling! They experience the same symptoms that we do. Testing, in most cases, can be summed up in one word - STRESSFUL!

It's February, and most of us won't test until May. That means we still have plenty of time to teach our students (and ourselves) to R-E-L-A-X! We know we have done our jobs, and we know our students are wonderful, so now we just all have to take a deep breath.

My best tip for testing is to prepare early. How can you do that?
  1. Talk about "THE TEST!" I mention it to my students weekly, if not daily. I let them know that what we are learning will be on the test. I think talking about it often lets them be more comfortable with it. They know they will be taking it and they know it's important. So let's talk about it! :)
  2. Make learning fun! Sure, sometimes they have to listen to us talk. There are certainly times for them to listen, be quiet, and take notes. But if you can, make learning fun! This can be done through projects, task cards, interactive white board games, BINGO games... the list goes on.
  3. Take brain breaks! If you've ever read any of my posts, then you know how much I love brain breaks! My particular favorite is Go Noodle! This is a FREE site that allows students to be active during transitional times or just when they need a break! My students love it so much that I ordered them Go Noodle valentines. They were a hit!
  4. Change it up! I am a person that thrives on routine. Now obviously, there are never two days exactly the same when it comes to being in the classroom! However, most days, I can stick to a schedule. My students know that we will do Daily 5 for an hour each morning. They know after lunch to get out their Wordly Wise vocabulary books. Sometimes, though, when I'm going on and on and on about a topic in math, I can see their minds wander. When this happens, I change it up and I always get them back on task. Stop and do something different - a quick check for understanding, a turn-and-talk activity, a quick brain break... anything. Just a change of pace, even a fast one, will work wonders.
  5. Play "Beat the Teacher!" - This is always a hit in the classroom. This is a simple game that is guaranteed to get your students' attention! Simply pick a topic and come up with some questions. If the students get the questions right - they get points. If they get the questions wrong - the points go to the teacher! The object of the game is to get more points than the teacher, hence the name, "Beat the Teacher!" I have created five math games for "Beat the Teacher." These are for sale in my store if you're interested. They will be on sale for $1 each through Tuesday!  Also, I will be happy to create new "Beat the Teacher" games. If you have an idea, please leave a comment below and I will create it and post it in my store. 
Here are my "Beat the Teacher" games, available in my store if you're interested:







I hope I've given you a few new ways to relax before the big test. Just remember, as a teacher, you've put your heart and soul into your students, so don't be too hard on yourself. Do your job to the best of your ability, set high expectations for your students, and then relax.

You've got this!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...