Monday, February 23, 2015

Rockin' the online test with Scootpad!

 

Many teachers are getting nervous this year because in addition to taking a completely new test, their students will be taking it online! It doesn't help that the data coming out of the schools that beta tested the system last year is dismal. I scoured the internet looking for something (other than the few sample test questions) for my students to do to get test prep practice, and I was excited to find a free program called Scootpad!

With Scootpad, Students can write and draw on the questions, skip questions, and answer fill-in-the-bank. When we first started using Scootpad in my classroom, even my top students were getting less than 50% on the activities! After two months of using it once a week and at home, most of them are getting close to 100%! It really shows what a transition it is from paper problems to computerized problems!

http://www.scootpad.com
My favorite part about Scootpad is that you have control over what type of questions they're reviewing. I whipped out my data and looked for the standards my class was struggling with as a whole. You can also create assignments for individual students. 

After you setup your class and add your students, it's very easy to add a new assignment and select a few standards for them to work on. You can also choose how many 10-question assignments to have them work on. I usually do 4 assignments for each standard.



Not only is Scootpad great practice, but my students really enjoy it. They like using the computers and they love the rewards you can earn in Scootpad. The last 5 minutes of every session I allow them to look through the reward section of the website. They can buy avatars, wallpapers, and  games with the coins they get for completely assignments. You can also assign your own rewards, such as candy and homework passes. When they "redeem" in their Scootpad account, you can view it in your teacher account. At the end of every week I go through and hand out all of the rewards.

http://www.scootpad.com

  Is your school taking your state test online this year? Tell us in the comments below!  

http://www.uppergradememoirs.com/p/featured-resources.html

2 comments:

  1. Hi April! We, at ScootPad, are thrilled that our learning platform is working for your students for test prep! We just wanted to clarify that ScootPad's assessments feature does have interactive question formats that include drag and drop. Thanks for using ScootPad to enhance your students' learning, would it be alright for us to post your story on ScootPad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sabeen! I haven't seen the interactive question formats yet, but I only teach ELA. I'd love to try those out! I would love for you to post my story on ScootPad!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...